Master’s Degree Options for Prospective Graduate Students
Initial Licensure – Master Teacher Fellows (MTF). This program involves coursework and fieldwork, including one semester of full-time student teaching. It is offered at the secondary (grades 9-12) and elementary (grades K-6) levels. For secondary education, students must have a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent coursework) in one of our content areas. The secondary program lasts thirteen months, and the elementary program lasts 1.5 years.
More information about specific content areas can be found here:
Advanced Licensure – Master Teacher Associates (MTA). This program provides an extension of the candidate’s current teaching license. It lasts for thirteen months and includes coursework and fieldwork to foster the candidate’s development in content, pedagogy, and leadership. This program is offered at the elementary and secondary levels. See MTA Curriculum
Non-Licensure – Master of Educational Studies (MES). This program is for students who are interested in education but choose not to seek a teaching license. See MES Curriculum
Certificate Program. A certificate program is available. The Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment Certificate is appropriate for those with elementary, secondary, or higher education interest. See Certificate Template
Applications to all graduate programs are due by January 15. For more information, see the our Graduate Program Admissions Information.
- Academics – Environment of academic rigor and high achievement
- Faculty – Nationally-recognized faculty experts in each content area
- Research – Plan, conduct, and report an original study on teaching
- Field Work – Observation, tutoring, and internship with master teachers in local public schools
- Technology – Learn to integrate technology into teaching
- Colleagues – Cohort groups of like-minded future teachers
- Financial Aid – Eligible for generous financial support, including full scholarships
Our teacher education program is proud to meet rigorous state and national standards for educator preparation. We are fully accredited by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) and a member in good standing of the Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation, working toward accreditation of our educator preparation programs under the AAQEP standards with an anticipated Quality Assurance Review in 2022.
For more information about Graduate Teacher Education