Mathematics Education


Do you enjoy mathematics?  

Are you interested in teaching it?


Several options are available in the Department of Education.

Education Licensure Minor.

For undergraduate students who are Math major or minor and wish to teach high school.  30 hours of coursework and field work in local high schools, including student teaching.  NC Teaching License which transfers to most other states.

Schools, Education, Society Minor.

For undergraduate students who are interested in education and are not interested in a teaching license. Students may choose focus on math or on general education.  17 hours with focus on current issues such as social justice, diversity and literacy.

Master Teacher Fellows Program (MTF).

Fifth year program leading to master’s degree and teaching license.  13-month program. Including coursework and fieldwork.

Master Teacher Associates (MTA).

Advanced licensure for teachers with a current license.  13 months, including coursework and other requirements to foster extension of the candidate’s development in content, pedagogy, and leadership.

Master of Educational Studies Program (MES).

For graduate students who are interested in education, but choose not to seek a teaching license.  Students may choose focus on math or on general education.

Mathematics Competencies required for licensure.

Wake Forest course requirements are listed. For prospective graduate students, these or equivalent courses are required.

  • Calculus I, II, and III. (MTH 112 and 113)
  • Linear Algebra. (MTH 121)
  • Modern Algebra. (MTH 321)
  • Geometry. (MTH 331)
  • Statistics. (MTH 109 or 256 or 357)

Bonus: Mathematics Education Resources Page

For further information, contact Mathematics Coordinator: Dr. Leah McCoy